Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I Live on Church Property

There are good and bad things that come along with having the church parking lot as my back yard. For example, a bad thing is that on occasion the youth kids who have Sunday school in our living room decide to have donut hole wars. I’m sure they are fun in the moment, but when I find them a week later under my couch, its gets gross. A good thing though, is that I have keys. There is a sense of power that comes with the ability to unlock doors. But I don’t abuse it. I use it to escape.

I adore that where I live is a place that is rarely locked, where people come in and out, sleep on our couch, nap on our love sac, and leave notes on our fridge. Its community at its most abundant and I wouldn’t trade it, because I know that this proximity with people only lasts for a season. But It does mean, that when I want to really get alone with the Lord I have to search for a place, which makes it more of a journey, and a little bit more exciting. It’s like He and I have a secret date. I feel like a kid every time whispering to a classmate… “Ok, yeah… 3 o’ clock, don’t let anyone else follow… secret tree house. See you there!”

Yesterday was one of those days where I planned a time and place and looked forward to it all day. My loud, busy day grew still as coffee mugs clanked on the kitchen counter, bibles closed, and groups of laughing girls said goodbye and walked out my front and back door until they were all gone. I sat on one of the many couches in the living room and slumped down to stare at the ceiling and looked at my watch. 9:00. I had a date with God in an hour. I had a little food and took a shower and put on the comfiest pair of sweatpants that I don’t own (they are my roommates) stuck my hair in a very wet messy bun and threw on someone’s TOMS (I’m not sure what is mine in that house anymore). I snuck out of my room and there still wasn’t anyone in the house so I stuck my jacket on, grabbed keys, and went out our back door. It was cold so I walked quickly across the parking lot, making sure I didn’t see anyone and then walked up and slowly unlocked the sanctuary doors and opened them. It was dark inside except for the moonlight coming through the windows. It was so quiet that my thoughts were echoing of the walls. I walked up the middle isle and plopped down front and center. This was the moment I had been looking forward to all day. I took a deep breath in. Then we talked. Laughed. Were silent. Got serious. Smiled. I Asked. Thanked. Obeyed. Listened. And sat still. So still that I felt suspended in a single moment and a peace which transcends everything, filled through ever crevice of my lungs as I breathed deeply and praised him openly. I didn't know what time it was and I didn't even care. And then I got up and put my shoes back on, and He walked me all the way back to my bed. And it was the best date I’ve ever had.

2 comments:

  1. love it. what a sweet time. praying for you and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh this is beautiful!! I miss that place!! Enjoy it. But also enjoy those awesome father-daughter moments!

    ReplyDelete