Thursday, May 17, 2012

Kindred Spirits


If I could sum up the end of this semester I would, but I can’t do that. Its impossible and a roller coaster that I don’t think I would make it out alive from. What I can tell you is how blessed I am with the community God has placed around me unexpectedly.

The kind of community that you hope for, but never actually expect to gain. The friends that you have withdrawals from if more than a day pass in between seeing each other (we are borderline pathetic). I’ve always wanted a group of friends like that; where I am challenged to share every bit of my heart and soul even if its painful, where we can struggle together, encourage each other, pray together, cry together, pee our pants laughing together, call each other out, and love unconditionally.

Over Christmas break I prayed for my community group, among many other things, but specifically that God would bring genuine girls to it for the next semester, that he would challenge us to be raw and honest and learn what it means to share and pray for each other. That first week, in walk Autumn, Emily, and Amy. Who, I thought, were possibly the coolest people I had ever seen. They were raw and genuine and best of all, the same kind of weird as me. I was eventually coaxed to Autumn and Emily’s apartment to study where Amy already camped out, which ended up being a vortex that you never want to leave. First it was Tuesday night studying, where we actually studied. (Friends who are quiet when there is studying happening is the biggest blessing ever). Then somewhere in between puzzle night, an abundance of Oreos, milk, popcorn, and Anne of Green Gables night, I realized… we are all kindred spirits. We are absolutely ridiculous together but never forget to pray together. They are the most unique, gifted, beautiful girls I’ve ever known.

There is Autumn, with her abundance of hospitality, and ability to make you feel so loved you feel like you are literally going to burst. She makes me appreciate small tidbits of history and Russia more than I did before. Especially Russia. And she always feeds me…

And then Emily, with her incredible creativity and quiet calm spirit that always makes you smile. Her art is inspiring and so is her sweet, sweet heart. She strives to do her very best in everything and has NO idea how beautiful she is. Also, we have the same nostrils, which just makes everything better…

and then there is Amy who cares SO deeply, you can feel it in your own heart before she even says anything to you. She is honest and can make you laugh really, really hard. She makes you look at nature in a new way just by talking about a tree. Plus she has the same appreciation/addiction to The Civil Wars, Grey’s Anatomy, and pizza as I do…


I love these girls. I believe the Lord has knit our hearts together. Wherever the Lord may take us… Chicago, Prague, Swamplands, or an African hut... I know He will sustain what He began. 

No comments:

Post a Comment