Tuesday, February 1, 2011

how inclement weather bonds us all

Today, as I walked outside into the the 25 degree morning I was immediately struck by a biting wind from the right of me that seemed to scream “YOU SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN YOUR WARM BED!” And although I did like the idea of being in my warm bed, I thought that would have been a waste of the day. So I drew my arms in, stuck my hands into my scarf, and walked with purpose, thinking only of the heated Mckibben building ahead.

As I went on throughout my day I began to notice something strange.
People always talk and interact when its miserable outside!

It’s a conversation starter. I can’t tell you how many times I made conversation with the phrase “its cold!” or “you can’t feel the tips of your ears either?!”
Such obvious statements. We honestly sort of sound like idiots, but since its something everyone is experiencing at the same time it feels ok to say out loud.
It gives us a common ground.

I even gave and got more smiles from strangers today. They were like brief unspoken motivational interactions. Behind our watering eyes and runny noses, that small smile meant “I don’t know you, BUT we can DO THIS, we will not freeze, we WILL make it to class.”

These interactions just don’t happen much on regular days.
No one walks around making conversation in 73 degree weather by saying
“its quite mediocre outside!” That’s just awkward.

So even though I forgot my gloves, the wind felt like needles, and it didn’t even snow to make the cold worth it, I liked today; I liked the atmosphere (pun).

2 comments: